Frank E. Wood (1919-1922) founded the company (also known as Girard Mfg. Co. 1922-1935 and The Toy Works, 1935-1975) in Girard, Pennsylvania. Famous for their spinning tops, skates, banks, trains, trucks and military vehicles.
In the late 1920s, Girard toys made Louis Marx a commission agent and for several years produced toys under the Marx brand label, along with its own line of steel autos, trucks, and trains, which were produced at Girard Motor Works.
Marx and Girard toys are for all intents indistinguishable (a few of the Girard toys bore the slogan "Making Childhood's Hour Happier"). Girard declared bankruptcy in 1934, although toy production continued until 1975. Quaker Oats had bought out Marx's interest in Girard when they bought Marx's American and English toy division 1972.